David Wyant Jr. to lead commentary on rowing regatta that brings in more than 11,000 athletes.
SARASOTA — A fall tradition enjoyed by thousands in Massachusetts just became more exciting for one Sarasotan.
Shumaker law firm Partner David Wyant is going to be the lead broadcast commentator for the Head of the Charles Regatta (HOCR) on October 22-24. The rowing regatta has been ongoing since 1965 in Cambridge. The event regularly draws in more than 11,000 athletes, according to a statement.
“The broadcast is an exciting opportunity for folks to enjoy the HOCR,” says Executive Director Fred Schoch in a release. “We’re excited to have David on board as we expand our live stream coverage for 2021.”
Seeing Wyant’s name attached to a rowing event isn’t new. While attending Wesleyan University, Wyant was a varsity letterman on the men’s rowing team for four years.
He’s also been coined as the “rowing voice” of Nathan Benderson Park, according to the press release. Since 2012, he’s announced several events including:
- 2017 World Rowing Championships.
- 2019 World Rowing Under-23 Championships.
- 2016 and 2020 United States Rowing Olympic Trials.
- 2018 and 2021 NCAA Rowing Championships.
- 2021 USRowing Indoor National Championships/C.R.A.S.H.-B. World Indoor Rowing Championships.
- USRowing Youth National Championships.
- Florida Scholastic Rowing Association Championships.